May 30, 2006

P-P-P-Pooped! :-P

Alright, so I have been stalling writing for about an hour now. I guess I just don’t have the motivation to write, even though there is so much to share with you. The theme lately seems to be fatigue. The weekend was full of rest and that gave me lots of energy. I stayed home most of the day on Saturday and did laundry and worked on some videos. One of which is a little one I did for my friend Rex. You’ve read about our dinners at Cassatt’s. Rex and his band play there once a month and I thought it would be fun to shoot and make a little video of their performance. I took some video with my little Canon SD550 and made a little something out of it. Not bad video for such a small camera, eh? We’re going to have dinner there again this Saturday, June 3rd. Let me know if you’d like to join us! Click here to watch it or watch it below.

Saturday night we joined up with some friends and had dinner at the Little Viet Garden on Wilson. The food was just okay (some of the dishes came out cold) but the service was terrible. I will never go there again. I am not even going to link to their website. Just don’t go there, ever. Overpriced, bad service and mediocre food... what else could you not want from a restaurant? Ick.

Sunday I videotaped our church service at Grace like I used to do each Sunday. I tape the service and it is broadcast on the local access cable channels in Arlington and Fairfax, VA. We borrow the equipment from Arlington Independent Media. Pastor John’s sister, Lynda, works there – so she edits the tape into a show that broadcasts three times a week. I had to stop by the studio last week just to make sure I still knew how to handle the equipment and to make sure I could carry it. The camera weighs about 20 pounds, but I just need to get it up on to the tripod and I’m good. I used to be able to carry most of the equipment with one hand, but now I need two. It’s okay though – I’ll get all my strength back. It was good to see some familiar faces there too – and some avid blog readers. Hello to Jackie, Jon, Brian, Austin and Jen. You guys Rock and do Arlington a great service!

Monday was sleep-in day for us. We woke up a little before noon and headed out to grab a nutritious and delicious lunch (well, delicious, at least) at Chick-Fil-A at Ballston Mall. Man, I love their nuggets with honey. We then set out to find some local geocaches near our home. What is a geocache, you ask? Here’s a quote from their website:
“Geocaching is an entertaining adventure game for GPS users. Participating in a cache hunt is a good way to take advantage of the wonderful features and capability of a GPS unit. The basic idea is to have individuals and organizations set up caches all over the world and share the locations of these caches on the internet. GPS users can then use the location coordinates to find the caches. Once found, a cache may provide the visitor with a wide variety of rewards. All the visitor is asked to do is if they get something they should try to leave something for the cache.”
Read more about geocaching at their website. I like to think of it as a casual sport. We set out to find six but only found three. One was a difficult one near home, another was down the street and the third was in a shopping center. We came up empty at those three, but I think the one at the shopping center was missing as I discovered we were at the right place. The last three were a lot of fun – we found them and got to explore some new places we had never been to in the area. The best was Glencarlyn Park – there were tons of trails and shade. When I can get on the bike again, we’re going to head out there for a ride. Anyway, we had a lot of fun in the sun even though it was very hot. I think it hit 90 degrees Monday, but we were ready for it.

We finished off the day with a cool drink and some tapas at one of our favorite restaurants, La Tasca. They have great food at a reasonable price. Check it out if you have the chance. Here’s the best part about Monday, I may or may not have driven around town a little bit. It was or was not pretty easy. That’s all I’ll say about something that may or may not have happened.

Oh yeah, I made Holly shave off all my hair, so this is how I look now:
Shaved Head

The hair falling has slowed down tremendously. There are a few on the pillow in the morning, but not as many as there were last week. The tingling has pretty much stopped and I’m feeling pretty normal again up there. Today at physical therapy, Jess had me run for the first time in months. I ran for about seven minutes at a rather slow pace just to check out my leg. My right leg doesn’t advance forward for the next step as fast as the left leg does. It makes for an akward staggered run and my foot also falls flat, not heel first. My left shin started to tighten up so we stopped, but it was an interesting first step. We’re going to work on speeding up my motor function in the right leg more and more.

I went to radiation after that. Tomorrow is my 20th treatment ending the fourth week. I have 33 treatments total (not 30 like I previously though) so these will last through mid June. Today, after therapy, I was ready to crash once again. I kept falling asleep on the metro and once had to see exactly where I was on the orange line as I thought I was out for a while, but I must have just dozed off for a minute. I got home and slept for three hours. I hate feeling like this, but the doctor keeps telling me that this is normal for brain radiation patients. I see the pulmonologist about the fuzzy spot they found in my lung before the surgery. I’m sure it is nothing. I’ll let you know tomorrow. Okay – I have babbled on enough. More tomorrow.


Anonymous said...

In the Little Viet Garden's defense, I've been there many times and really enjoyed it. Especially the calamari. delicious.

Unknown said...

Ugh - I'd rather spend my money at McDonald's...