Feb 20, 2007

My Dad Update: Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Sorry I couldn’t post earlier. I flew back to DC this afternoon so I haven’t been able to post until now.

My mom and I went to the 9:30 a.m. visiting time. His nurse Diane said he did well through the night and his blood pressure and heart rate were better than Monday. When we arrived his blood pressure was 136/89 and his heart rate was 90. His heart rate had been over 100 all weekend. But his heart rate fluctuates between 90 and 100. When I walked in his eyes were halfway open and he looked like he was staring at the ceiling but I’m pretty sure he wasn’t seeing anything. It kind of worried me and I hustled over to his side and watched his chest to make sure he was breathing. Diane said that he was a little more awake and the doctor’s said that was okay since he wasn’t trying to fight it like yesterday. This didn’t last long though. She said he coughed periodically and still had some excess saliva. Diane also told us they lowered the breathing machine again (16 to 8) meaning his lungs were clearer and he could take in more oxygen on his own.

I left at 12:30 p.m. to drive back to Austin to catch my flight. My mom and Aunt Sharon were there for the 1:30 p.m. visiting time. His blood pressure was 129/88 and his heart rate was 102. His urine bag was half full. I know you are wondering why I would share that information. The only way for the fluid in his lungs to clear is for him to urinate it out. So the more he urinates, the better. Diane said it would take a long time for all the fluid to clear and he needed a lot of rest. He didn’t have any real changes from the morning visit but he was better than yesterday.

Heather and Elizabeth made it for the 5:30 p.m. visit. Bubba, Brandy & Cole were there also. Heather said she felt a lot better being there. It was very hard on her to not be able to come right away. She had been upset and emotional about it since we told her Monday morning. His blood pressure was 133/95 and his heart rate was 95. His sugar level was 168 which is good since normal is below 200. He still looked good and he was awake. He held their hands. My mom asked him to squeeze her hand and he did. He responded by nodding or shaking his head to their questions. My mom was told there may be more fluid in his lungs and they will suck it out if needed. And he wanted to get out of bed.

Elizabeth went home with Bubba, Brandy & Cole. My mom and Heather intended to stay for a short visit at 8:30 p.m. Before they got back there he wanted to get out of bed and he was awake, uncomfortable and maybe a little agitated from all the stimulation. So they gave him more sedative because he was trying to breathe over the breathing machine. So they did not stay long because they wanted him to sleep and rest. His blood pressure then was 125/88 and his heart rate was 97.

This is going to be a long road for my dad. We knew he was going to remain in ICU and the hospital for a while and after this little set back he definitely will. Please continue to pray for my dad and my family. Pray for peace and rest for us all and for the Lord’s strength and healing for my dad. Thank you for all your prayers and love. We love you all.

No comments: